By Bashley Football Club | Sheridan Sparkes | Friday 27th March 2015


The John Stimpson Memorial Shield was only ever going to throw up an
entertaining evening of football for all in attendance, and Wednesday’s quarter-
final against Verwood Town served simply to prove the point.

Hosts Bashley came into the game on the back of an impressive unbeaten run
that stretched as far back as the middle of December, their last loss coming
rather conveniently against their opponents on this clear March night.

Verwood started at a rapid pace, and took a fortunate lead within two minutes of
the opening, as a cross-cum-shot somehow looped over the head of James
Lambourne in the Bashley goal and found the top corner.

Things didn’t get much better for the hosts, as goals two and three quickly
followed within the opening 20 minutes of the game, leaving Bash with an uphill

They didn’t let their heads drop however, and for large periods of the game
showed the quality that had taken them on such an impressive run in recent

Mitchell Speechley-Price pulled one back on the half hour with a cool finish, after
some excellent work from the ever-impressive Matt Head out on the left hand

Bash felt aggrieved when Mitchell was denied a penalty late on in the half, and
there was no shortage of conversation at half-time between supporters, not best
pleased with the performance of the officials themselves.
The second half continued in the same light as the first, and it took just three
minutes for Head to grab a goal for himself. Some more excellent work left his
full-back on the floor, before the winger squeezed the ball under the goalkeeper
and over the line, with Mitchell on hand to smash against the back of the net for
good measure.

An individual error allowed Verwood to again extend their lead from the restart,
and following a well-saved Leighton Speechley-Price penalty, Verwood scored
their fifth with a well-placed finish into the bottom corner of Lambourne’s goal.

There was no drop in the Bashley spirit however, as Matt Head scored his
second of the game via the aid of a defender to bring the score down to 5-3.

Verwood again found the back of the net, before Aaron Dunne capitalised on
poor marking to slam home, and again bring the hosts back into the game.

Sadly, that was to be the end of the scoring, and Verwood were left to progress
to the semi-finals of this season’s competition.

The reserves travel to Fawley today, in their return to league duty and the quest
for the title.
(A Members Club Founded 1947)
Bashley Road | Bashley | New Milton | Hampshire | BH25 5RY
Email: | Tel: 01425 620280 match days only | Clubhouse Bookings: 07899 333391
CLICK to follow UpTheBash on Twitter
CLICK for Bashley FC Weather
CLICK for Bashley FC Fans Forum
All content and images contained on this website are Copyright © the individual or website owner | Bashley FC or their representatives are not responsible for the content contained on any linked website.
Design Copyright © iT Rocks Marketing 2013-2016 | All rights reserved | Powered and Managed by MAD Web™
CLICK to Like and follow Bashley FC on Facebook
CLICK for BBC Solent Sport on Twitter
CLICK for Wave 105 on Twitter
CLICK for New Milton Advertiser & Lymington Times on Twitter
CLICK for Bashley FC Historical website
CLICK for The Non-League Paper
CLICK for Southern League website
CLICK for Southern League website
The Southern Football League
CLICK to email Bashley FC
CLICK for Bournemouth FA
The Fans Forum
CLICk for The Hampshire FA
CLICK for Wyvern Combination Football League
CLICK for Red Insure
CLICK for The
CLICK for Club Sponsor Craftwood Interiors